02 December 2007

Baked Oatmeal


When I was a kid, my family always ate their oatmeal with lots of butter and salt. My college roommates and friends enjoyed it any number of ways: with milk, sugar, fruit, raisins. As an adult, though, I find myself rarely making oatmeal. I realize the health benefits, but no matter what I put on top, it was never really that exciting.
I got my latest Penzey's catalog in the mail, and lo and behold: it included an oatmeal recipe. I decided to give it a whirl this weekend (by the way, this is a total plug for Penzey's spices: they are awesome. I use them all the time. Give em a try sometime). What was interesting is that you mixed everything into it beforehand, and just baked it in the oven.
This baked oatmeal is similar to the stove-top version, obviously, but also so different: slightly firm, with an almost crusty top and soft interior. Hot and filling with lots of goodies packed inside. So perfect for a cold morning.

Baked Oatmeal


Ingredients:
2 1/4 c. quick cooking oats (or 2 3/4 c. old-fashioned oats)
2/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 c. raisins or other dried fruit (I used dried goji berries)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/3 c. skim milk
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tsp. veggie oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Milk, yogurt, sugar, and/or fruit (optional; for topping)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.

Pour into the baking dish. Bake at 350 F for 55-60 minutes or until center is set and firm to the touch. Cool slightly.

Serve topped with milk or sugar or yogurt and fruit, if desired. Store leftover oatmeal tightly covered in the refrigerator.

7 comments:

Graeme said...

I can't think of a better way to prepare Oatmeal than this.

Looks really great, like a breakfast-friendly version of a Crumble topping.

Hillary said...

This looks like heaven in breakfast form! I like how you used dried goji berries, but I'm happy to know you can use other dried fruits as I'm not a huge fan of goji berries. This looks amazing though!

Katie said...

I do something similar with steel-cut oatmeal leftovers. I take the leftover oatmeal, add eggs, sugar, and milk and bake it. It ends up like Grapenut custard. Yum! I don't think steel-cut oats would work in this recipe, though. Might not cook through.

cv said...

anyone ever tried this with steel cut oats before? i wonder if its possible?

Anonymous said...

also DELICIOUS made with dried cranberries instead of raisins.

Anonymous said...

You will make this dish again and again; it's fabulous, and folks will beg you for the recipe -- or for you to make them some more. It's one of the very best breakfast recipes I've ever used, and I have been cooking for almost 55 years. This is really great made with extra-large rolled oats from health-food companies, too. Not too dry, not too moist -- It's "Three Bears" perfect.

Cathy Mena said...

It has been long known as one of nature’s most nutrient-rich foods in China. Chinese Traditional Medicine has been claiming all sorts of health benefits from the Goji Berry.Goji berries