06 November 2007

Pork Pies


My sis Beah gave me this recipe, it's from Cookie Magazine. I thought these pork pies were rather good, although I do recommend you double the sage recommended, and add a wee bit more salt. I was shocked because they really did pop right out of the muffin tin, without much coaxing. Yay!

The pie dough I had in the freezer was stale so I just made my own, not posting that portion though because I'm sure pre-made pie dough will work just fine. The magazine article recommended you serve these with applesauce, mustard, or roasted apples. Yum! Sounds like a great way to enjoy these savory pies; we went the oh-so-gourmet route and had ours with plain old ketchup.

Pork Pies


Ingredients:
3/4 lb. ground pork
1 medium onion, peeled and grated (I just chopped mine)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
1/2 c. bread crumbs
2 (9-in.) discs prerolled, refrigerated pie dough
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease two 6-cup muffin tins with butter.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients but the dough and 1 tablespoon of the eggs; refrigerate.
Unroll the dough and cut out twelve 4-inch circles with a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass. Reroll the scraps, then cut out 12 more 2-inch circles.
Line the bottoms and sides of the tins with the 4-inch rounds. Divide the filling evenly among the cups. Press the 2-inch rounds on top, pinching the edges together to seal. Poke a hole in the center of each pie.

Brush with the reserved egg and bake until the tops are browned and puffed slightly, 30 to 35 minutes.

Let cool for 15 minutes before removing the pies from the tins. Serve warm.

No comments: