27 November 2007

Bridal Shower Wild Rice Salad


My sister Aimbot got married in the summer of 2006, in gorgeous southern California. Her friend Cat threw her a bridal shower a few days before (so everyone flying in could attend). Just the sweetest little shower I've ever attended: much giggling and chatting and glasses of champagne, no games or other such things. Good conversation and good food, what could be better?

The lunch included yummy little sandwiches and sides and an awesome strawberry tiramisu, but it was the wild rice salad that really did me in. I didn't want to be a total pig, so I took a very ladylike portion, but seriously I could've eaten an entire vat of the stuff. It was fruity and nutty and yet savory. Quite good. And Cat was gracious enough to share the recipe, that lovely woman. I'm forever indebted.

I have dubbed this Bridal Shower Wild Rice Salad because that's my fond memory of it, plus it is something that's perfect for just such an occasion: dainty and healthy, with a charming mix of ingredients. Blueberries and nuts with onion and celery to round out the flavors. Probably more of a summery salad, but I love to make this one year-round.

Bridal Shower Wild Rice Salad



Ingredients:
2 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1 c. wild rice (about 6 oz)
1/2 c. dried blueberries
1/3 c. chopped toasted pecans (About 1 ½ oz)
1/3 c. chopped unsalted cashews (About 1 ½ oz)
1/4 c. chopped green onion tops
2 Tbsp. finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1/3 c. oil (I use a vegetable and olive oil mix)

Combine water and salt and bring to boil. Add rice, reduce heat to medium low and cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain well and cool.

Transfer rice to large bowl. Add next 6 ingredients. Can be prepared one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Mix next 5 ingredients in blender. With blender running gradually add oils. Pour dressing over rice and toss. Season with salt and pepper.

6 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Brazilians are crazy about rice and this dish looks delicious, Nemmie!

epascavage said...

What a hit this rice salad is! I was searching and searching for something new and exciting to make for the numerous bridal/baby showers I knew I'd be attending in the upcoming months. When I came across this recipe I thought I'd give it a try. At every shower I have brought it to EVERYONE has ranted and raved over how wonderful and flavorful it is! It really is the talk of the party! This salad is delicious and I will definitely make it over and over again! Thank you SO much! :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous recipe! We live in Minnesota where wild rice is plentiful, and I made this salad for my daughter's bridal shower in October. Very easy to make, you can do most of it the night before and add the dressing just before serving. I substituted dried cranberries for blueberries.

Unknown said...

this can't be wild rice it is too white, Minnesota wild rice is brown/dark brown - will it taste the same ? Also the dried blueberries I bought are rock hard do I soften them in water or?

Unknown said...

this can't be wild rice it is too white, Minnesota wild rice is brown/dark brown - will it taste the same ? Also the dried blueberries I bought are rock hard do I soften them in water or?

Also how many servings does this make?

Nicolette/Nikki/Nik/N said...

This looks pretty. I am looking for a good recipe to make for my mom's work potluck, and think something like this might be nice. As for "Unknown's" question about the wild rice being too white - that's true, wild rice isn't so white - this might be one of those wild rice blends which are much cheaper. Too bad wild rice is sooo expensive! And you can soak the blueberries in hot water sto soften them.