07 August 2008

Blueberry Snickerdoodles

I have a confession to make. While I think snickerdoodles are a very pretty cookie, I rarely make them. First off, cinnamon is fine but I am not IN LOVE with it. Fine for Christmas things and with raisins and all of that, but otherwise I don’t feel the need to add it to things.

Secondly, snickerdoodles always seem so… well, for lack of a better term, plain. Sure the cookie dough base is a classic, allowing the vanilla and butter flavors to really come through, but still. Snickerdoodles are not what I immediately think of when I want a cookie. In fact, they are usually at the bottom of the list. I need a little more pizzazz, something interesting.



One weekend, I decided to finally make snickerdoodles, but also wanted to change things up a bit. What to do, what to do. I idly poked through the cabinets trying to find the answer… Then I came upon the package of Trader Joes dried blueberries that my sis Anne had sent me. I had been saving them for something special (we don’t have a Trader Joes here, sadly). Well, if spicing up a boring cookie isn’t special enough, I don’t know what is.
It was such a simple change, and yet it made such a huge difference. The soft, chewy little blueberries burst in your mouth, and work so well with the cinnamon. It’s like your favorite blueberry cobbler in cookie form! I gave most of the cookies away (as per my usual procedure), but kept about half a dozen at the house. They are perfect for a quick breakfast in the mornings. : )


Blueberry Snickerdoodles
(adapted from Capree's recipe)




Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. dried blueberries
2 Tbsp. white sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Cream together butter and 1 1/2 c. sugar until pale and fluffly. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well mixed, then add the vanilla. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, soda, salt, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Add to dry ingredients, then stir in dried blueberries. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

Mix the 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

7 comments:

~Amber~ said...

These are so wonderful looking, blueberries are such a great match for the cinnamon and sugar taste of the cookie. I bet these were delicious.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I never would have thought to add blueberries to Snickerdoodles. But how could it be anything but yummy? Brilliant, Nemmie!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nemmie, this is just genius. I love snickerdoodles - love cinnamon, too - and adding dried fruit to them sounds so amazing!

Heather said...

I would never have thought to add fruit to snickerdoodles! What a neato idea!!! They look so yummy!!

grace said...

my confession--i am in love with cinnamon. deeply in love. i also greatly enjoy blueberry cobbler, so the idea of it in cookie form spiced with lots of cinnamon is enough to make me swoon. excellent idea! :)

Peabody said...

I would have never thought(well since I am allgeric to blueberries) but I bet it goes well with those flavors. I mean we throw those flavors in with crisps and pie all the time...why not a cookie?!?!

Capree said...

Wow, this sounds really amazing!

Snickerdoodle + blueberries = orgasmic explosion of flavor!

I'll give it a try!