16 April 2008

Turkey Sausage and Penne with Feta


A quick casserole for you to tide you over until the weekend - then the baked goods will re-appear with a vengeance. I have been busy busy busy trying to get things done around the apartment and semi-sorta pack (for our future moving) and meeting up with friends and house hunting (you know, all that lovely gorgeous stuff called 'life').

For the record - house hunting is for the birds, man. Soooo not as fun as I always envisioned it to be. There's a lot of stinkers on the market right now, but I have faith. We'll find a cutey little place that doesn't need a ton of work and with a nice kitchen to boot. Cross your fingers. I have great faith in our agent, she's a total gem.

That being said, my poor blog has been suffering. I've been making meals that are quick and already on the blog, or I forget to photograph them; still, I was able to get this one done. This recipe is yummy, and comes from Cooking Light so you know it won't hurt the waistline. I was a bit more liberal with the feta than the recipe calls for, because hey - the rest of it is so healthy, I couldn't resist. I'm not a huge fan of eggplant (I mean I like it okay; I could take it or leave it I guess) but it is really good in this dish.


Turkey Sausage and Penne with Feta
(from Cooking Light magazine, April 2005)


Ingredients:
4 1/2 c. cubed peeled eggplant (I usually salt and drain it before using)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb. turkey sausage, cut into thick slices
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz. penne (I used some tri-colored weirdly-shaped stuff instead)
1/2 c. (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

Cook eggplant, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2-4 minutes or until eggplant begins to get tender. Toss in turkey sausage and brown. Add tomato paste and the next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes); cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally (just long enough to cook down the juices a bit and meld the flavors).

Cook pasta according to directions, and drain. Place in a large bowl. Add tomato mixture, feta, and parsley; toss well.

3 comments:

bakingblonde said...

wow does that ever look good!! I love sausage!

Mama Mia said...

oh! that looks delish!

Deborah said...

This sounds delcious! I'm always looking for a good weeknight meal!