12 April 2008

Mediterranean Tuna Pockets


Hi hi. Yeah, haven't posted in awhile. Well, there was all that Jayhawk drama. And then I got the flu. Yay, flu! So I basically died. And I don't have any recipes/pics in the queue any longer, so there you go. No posting for awhile. But now I'm back.

I picked up this little darling from watching Giada's Food Network show a few years ago. Love the premise she has, but (1) I don't have a panini press, nor do I have any intention of pressing gunk in a makeshift way, and (2) I don't have artichoke hearts around ever - it's a thing with me, I hate the canned, and the jarred stuff looks like it has dust floating in it, and it's too much work to do myself. Ahem. Anyhoo...

So I improvised it a bit, and love the outcome. Easy breasy beautiful CoverGirl. Or something like that. Comes together in a snap, and tastes ooooohh so yummy. I make this a lot in the warmer months, so maybe it's my way of praying to the summer gods to come visit (did I mention we had snow this morning???). Yeah. Please come visit, warm weather!

Mediterranean Tuna Pockets
(Adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis, Everyday Italian network show)


Ingredients:
3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 (6-ounce) cans tuna in olive oil, drained
1/2 cucumber, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Other assorted veggies, chopped (I've used carrots, radishes, bell pepper...)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 pita flatbreads, cut in half

Puree the olives, oil, garlic, and zest in a food processor until smooth and spreadable. Blend in the mayonnaise. Set aside.

Toss the tuna, cucumber, tomatoes, other veggies, lemon juice, and pepper in a medium bowl, keeping the tuna in small chunks. Set aside.

Take pita halves, and open. Spread the olive puree over both open sides of the pita bread. Spoon the tuna and veggie mixture into the bread. Serve.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I like what you've done with them. They sound mighty tasty to me!!

Sarah said...

I, too, am calling to the spring gods to come at last and stick around for a while. These look like a tasty treat for a perfect spring day.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I am totally going to make this for a quick lunch tomorrow in between classes.