25 March 2008

Onion Pudding



Onion pudding. The English should be applauded for coming up with this concept. Essentially a savory bread-like dish, it's warm and cheesy and filling with huge chunks of roasted onions inside. Fabulous. And just perfect with a nice roast, I think.

While my puddings came out rather glossy-looking in the photos, this pudding is surprisingly light and non-greasy. I wish I could have taken photos more quickly! Just like a souffle, these beauties are golden and puff up in the oven, but fell before they hit the dinner table. No matter, though: still tasted wonderful. If you love onions as much as us (we've been known to just roast them whole with a pat of butter and salt, mmmm), you'll adore this little side dish!

Onion Pudding
(from Better Homes and Gardens magazine, December 2007)



Ingredients:
2 medium onions, cut into 8 wedges each, root end attached
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic, minced
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
4 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large skillet cook onions in hot oil 5 minutes over low heat; season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and garlic; cook 8 minutes more or until onions are tender. Remove from heat; set aside.

Grease 10 to 12 (5- to 7-ounce) baking dishes with the remaining butter. In bowl, combine eggs and milk; whisk in flour. Add cheese and the snipped sage; combine. Spoon onion in dishes; pour egg mixture over. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove; let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with fresh sage leaves. Serves 10 to 12.

5 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

You should have seen my face when I read the title. Ha! Onion pudding, it sounds so wrong but when I read the ingredients I know I have to admit, I would probably love it. I just may have to remember this for when I need to use onions.

Mel said...

Oh my god... I must make this... Thank you so much for posting this.

Sarah said...

Wow, wow, and wow. I am drooling over this recipe.

Deborah said...

I have never heard of an onion pudding, but we eat lots of onions, so I'm sure it would be a winner at our house!

Helene said...

This looks so right and downright delicious! Cheese and onion, is there anything better than that, well after cake?! :)