05 March 2008

Garlic Knots


Ah, garlic knots. A pizzeria classic. What's not to like? Piping hot knots of pizza dough, shiny with oil and unbelievingly addictive thanks to the garlic, cheese, and fresh herbs. These suckers barely make it out of the oven before they are devoured.

I am going to pimp out Susan's pizza dough recipe here, because man-oh-man is it a good one. This dough is easy to make and it freezes well. This is going to be a staple around our house I think, and I really do recommend you give her recipe a whirl. If you're tired and busy and just don't have time to make your own (and hey, I know how that goes) then just get some from your favorite pizza joint (if they'll sell it), or even buy the frozen stuff from the grocery store.

Garlic Knots
(my own little adaption from several versions online)


Ingredients:
1 lb pizza dough
2 garlic cloves, minced (we love garlic around here)
1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or oregano
About 1/ 4 c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease or oil (olive oil works best for flavor) one large baking sheet.

Using a lightly floured rolling pin and a floured countertop, roll out the dough into a large (roughly 9-in) square. If you can't quite get there by rolling, go ahead and gently pull on the dough as you would for rolling out a pizza crust.

Cut the square in half with a pizza wheel, then cut each half crosswise into strips (try to keep them to around an inch wide, or less). Cover strips with a clean kitchen towel.

Keeping remaining strips covered, pull out a strip of dough to work with one at a time. Gently tie each strip into a knot, pulling ends slightly to secure, and place knots about an inch apart on the baking sheet. You'll end up with about 20 knots. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.

While knots bake, mash together the minced garlic, salt, and olive oil using a mortar and pestle (if no mortar and pestle: mash together the salt and garlic using your knife, then mix in a bowl with oil). I leave my garlic a little chunky, because we love it that way. Transfer garlic oil to a large bowl. Immediately after baking, toss knots in garlic oil, then sprinkle on the parsley and cheese. Toss to coat. Voila, you're done! Be sure to serve them while still warm, maybe with some marinara for dipping if you're so inclined.

20 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

Nice, very nice. I will take one. Or five. I have been doing Jaden's no-knead pizza dough and I *really* like it. There is some in my fridge right now. I have been pondering breadsticks or something. Now I will be thinking about bread knots. :)

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Omg! I used to order garlic knots at this pizza place near my house, but ever since they closed down, I haven't seen them since! I'm so glad you posted!! This is now on my list of things to make!

Jenny said...

Mmmm, I've got to make those, they look so good. The knots are too cute!

Brilynn said...

Those are so addictive!
They look awesome!

Anonymous said...

Its really funny, I totally tried to make these last night, and they were no where near as cute and tasty looking as yours! hehehe..

spicyicecream said...

awesome! these are so cute, I'll have to try them :)

Rachel said...

Yum! These look supercute.

Stef said...

Garlic knots are under-appreciated in St. Louis. I used to get them all the time in NY. Yours look great!

Andreea said...

these look absolutely delicious. i am so bookmarking your post and we'll most likely have these very very soon! thanks for the recipe.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nemmie, I have never had garlic knots! :(
These look fantastic, I'll be baking these next time we want something different to nibble.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I have been "blog Stalking" your blog for quite a few months now....I LOVE all the little goodies you make but am most inspired by your beautiful photography! Do you mind sharing what type of camera you use and what lens? Thanks!

Sarah said...

I'm obsessed with garlic knots. You always seem to know what I love!

Deborah said...

Yum! There is a local place here where you can get garlic knots, and they are drowned in melted butter. Not the healthiest choice but very tasty. Now I'll have to try some at home!

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight for dinner. They were SO yummy! :) Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

Madeline said...

I am desperately craving these just from the photos! I guess I'll just have to make them this weekend! Yum, yum, yum!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had garlic knots in ages! YUM!

I've got some pizza dough hanging out in the freezer... this may be a weekend appetizer for us! :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I do believe that's the first time I've seen the word "pimp" and my name in the same sentence. And surprisingly, I'm OK with it.

I'm glad you like the dough. It really is easy, isn't it? I'm so making these knots. They are the perfect party food. Just perfect! Thanks, Nemmie!

Danielle said...

mmmm, these are definitely on my "to make" list.

bakeorbreak said...

Oh, I do love garlic knots. These look wonderful!

Quinn said...

Wonderful pictures of a glorious subject. I can almost smell them! I absolutely love the look of the surface they are on.