14 February 2008

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread



I wasn't going to update today. For one, I am leaving town early tomorrow morning, not to return until Sunday night, so I've been busy busy busy. For another, Hubs pretty much demolished this loaf before I could take any decent pictures. But then again: nothing can stop me from updating my blog, and this recipe seems pretty fitting for today. So after some packing and errand-running and whatnot, I made sure I took some pictures of the rest of this bread, just so I could post tonight.

I couldn't go without updating on Valentine's Day. Truly one of my favorite holidays, no matter how much others absolutely hate it. And what better day to break out a heart-healthy recipe, don't you agree?

This bread is very good for you, chock full of oatmeal and egg whites and applesauce as well as big chunks of dried fruit. A great breakfast for those in a hurry in the mornings; just bake up the loaf Sunday night, and you've got plenty to get you through the week. The fact that it's a Dorie Greenspan recipe only makes it that much better: you are guaranteed a soft, moist bread with a fabulous crunchy topping and tons of flavor. So for you, my dear readers - to your hearts, today on this heart-driven holiday: enjoy a healthy breakfast.

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread



Ingredients:
For the topping:
1/4 c. (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the bread:
2 egg whites
1 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c. flavorless oil, such as canola or safflower
1/4 c. buttermilk or whole milk
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 c. diced dried figs, apples, or apricots or moist, plump raisins
1 c. old-fashioned oats

Center a rack in oven; preheat to 350 F. Butter 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, dust with flour, and tap out excess. Put pan on a baking sheet.

Make the topping: In a small bowl, use your fingers to toss together the sugar, nuts, and cinnamon until evenly mix. Set aside.

Make the bread: Whisk together the egg whites, applesauce, oil, and buttermilk until well blended.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Remove 1/2 teaspoon of mix; toss it with the fruit to coat. Set aside. Stir the oats into the bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry, and, using a large rubber spatula, stir just until everything is evenly moistened. Don't overdo the mixing. Scatter the dried fruit over batter and stir it to blend. Scrape batter into pan; sprinkle over topping, tamping it down lightly with fingers so it sticks.

Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread is browned and a thin knife inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer bread to a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of pan and unmold. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.

8 comments:

Aran Goyoaga said...

Wow.. This bread looks GOOD! I found your blog through Tartelette's "Time to Make the Doughnuts". I saw your berliners on there. They look great! You have a very nice blog that I will be following. Great job!

Patricia Scarpin said...

It looks delicious and healthy, indeed, Nemmie - and I agree with you, Dorie's recipes are great!

Brilynn said...

I knew I recognized this bread! I love Dorie recipes.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, thank you! I eat so much oatmeal, I'm starting to look like a bowl of it. Oatmeal bread, that's what I need. And who could blame the hubs? Have you seen how moist and delicious that bread looks? Safe and happy travels, nemmie!

Emiline said...

It looks super moist. I don't blame the hubz for eating it so quickly.

Whit Ing said...

Yippy Skippy- I found another good food blog! This bread looks great and I am excited to try it. Maybe tomorrow's breakfast... Anyways, love the blog- keep it up!

Yenny said...

Thank U for this recipe. It looks so good and yummy!I´ll try it soon.

Christy said...

I am late to the party, apparently... (but thank God for Google, that looks amazing!)
I believe I may try turning it into muffins, so it's easy for the kids to grab one without having to slice things :)