30 January 2008

MB Vanilla Cupcakes


MB vanilla cupcakes. That would be Magnolia Bakery (of New York fame) vanilla cupcakes, and yes ma'am: it's the very same recipe that has been doing the rounds on several blogs.

I hosted Miss Northstrom's Bridal Shower this past weekend, you see, and wanted to make a vanilla cupcake for the occasion. I already had a good "pink (lemonade)" one and a lovely dark chocolate, so vanilla was the obvious choice for the third flavor. I decided to give the Magnolia Bakery recipe a shot because hey, what the heck. Plenty of others are doing it too (let's hear it for peer pressure!)



Of note: while a visit to the Magnolia Bakery seems to be a NYC Tourist's Dream, in actuality I hear that the vanilla cupcakes are a wee bit bland and dry (the Hummingbird cupcake there is well received, however, so if you visit the Bakery do go that route!). I didn't want sawdust cupcakes, so I changed the recipe up a little bit. Fats make a cake more moist, so I went with yogurt instead of plain old milk (as the original recipe called for). Seemed to do the trick, my cupcakes were moist instead of dry. The extra vanilla seemed to give it a good flavor as well. I think this is a decent basic vanilla cake recipe if you need one. Definitely worth giving a shot!

MB Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes 2 dozen cupcakes)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. self-rising flour
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 c. yogurt or sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.

In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.

Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing. Note: I did not use the Magnolia Bakery buttercream recipe, instead opting to use my regular old stand by (as can be seen in past posts). It worked just fine.

16 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Simply precious, and beautifully shot.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!
And thanks for the updated recipe - I've promised non-banana cupcakes to a housemate and this looks like an excellent choice.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love baking with yogurt, exactly to get moist baked goods. It works really well!

And thank you for the hint on Magnolia Bakery - I'm planning a trip to NY later this year!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yumm! I love anything magnolia (Southern girl that I am) AND anything cupcake.... Is there a more perfect combination?!?! Thank you for sharing - these are a must try.

Great pics too!

test it comm said...

Nice looking cupcakes!

JEP said...

Mmm...very tempting:)

Stef said...

I'd been wondering about that recipe. I've seen lots of people write about it. Thanks for sharing your take.

Anonymous said...

NEMMIE,

I could not find a contact email so I will leave a note to let you know that one of our Culinate readers has nominated you to enter the Death by Chocolate contest for a trip to Napa. If you are not interested, you need to nothing, but if you do want to enter, please go to the blogger page and follow the instructions (http://www.culinate.com/chocolate/tools.

Cheers,
Mark

Cafe Gusto said...

Hi
I love vanilla in cake.it looks good.

clairissa said...

What can you use instead of self-rising flour?

Palomita Gasolina said...

We've been making the Magnolia cupcakes for a bit, but we decided to go your route with the yogurt and it definitely made them more moist! :) I really didn't want to add crisco or something like that, ick :x

How'd you make the pretty flower on top? :D fondant?

We still have to try the ones in the city, I guess some day we'll make our way over :) The hummingbird sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I had tried the original recipe of MB and it did turn out little dry, so when I saw this posting, I decided to follow your recipe and the cupcakes turned out to be extremely soft!
It is now on my list of No 1 cupcake. I think it great to use yogurt for a moist texture.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Regards from Queen Butter

Siobhán said...

The MB Vanilla Cupcakes are my most requested item at my village market stall! Every week I say I want to make something different but the people have spoken! They are yummy though! :)

BakerGal said...

I used this recipe to make the base for some awesome owl cupcakes!

Very tasty ... came out perfectly ... thanks for posting it!

Owl cupcakes:
http://about-happiness.blogspot.com/2010/10/owl-cupcakes.html

Stephanie said...

Might be a typo, but is there milk in this recipe? Though the ingredients section doesn't list it, the instructions say to alternate adding vanilla and milk (not yogurt or sour cream). Either way this recipe looks and sounds delicious!

giaonhanquocte said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty vận chuyển hàng hóa quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan uy tín, giá rẻ