20 January 2008

German Breakfast Cake


This weekend I came across a bit of a problem. It was morning-time, we usually have a nice filling breakfast. But after a quick scan of the fridge, I was frustrated to discover: no bacon, no sausage, no real breakfast meat. Plus no bread in the bread box. Not much milk left in the carton. And no Bisquick in the cabinets.


Which pretty much means no bacon and eggs, no toast, no pancakes/waffles, no cereal and milk, no french toast, no nothing. What's a lady to do in this type of situation, with a growly stomach and not much to work with?



An old friend gave me a recipe for what she called a "German Breakfast Cake", and it's perfect for this type of situation. Few ingredients (most readily on hand), and very yummy. Plus, you can dress it up however you'd like: serve with fresh fruit and a sprinkling of sugar, or with jam, or syrup. Or saute some apples with brown sugar and butter, if you're feeling fancy. We didn't have any fresh fruit on hand (which is my favorite way to serve this), so instead I heated up a mixture of cherry preserves and blueberry jam for serving. And it definitely hit the spot.



German Breakfast Cake




Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. butter
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
Topping of choice


Preheat oven to 425 F. Combine the eggs, salt, flour, and milk in a bowl. Melt butter in a 9-in. cake pan. Pour contents of bowl into the cake pan.


Bake for 15-20 minutes, until poofy. Serve at once. Top with any number of things: apples sauted in butter/brown sugar, heated jam, fresh fruit, or the classic: a healthy squirt of lemon juice and sprinkle of powdered sugar.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I will add this to my breakfast recipes. Love, Coco

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nemmie, I'd be more than glad to have breakfast at your place - this looks so good! A lot better than bacon, eggs and sausage! :)

Sarah said...

I find myself in this situation often--I'm excited about the new recipe!

Deborah said...

It's always great to have a recipe that has so few ingredients!!

michelle said...

Mmmm... this looks like a perfect breakfast!

Anonymous said...

Wow, too easy and I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog! I'm trying this with mixture of 1 tsp blueberry syrup, 2-3 tsp apple butter, drop of vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/16 tsp nutmeg. Warmed slightly, mixed and spread on warm cake. Drizzled some glaze over it a voila! This is what happens when I have no actual fruit in the house! Thanks for the recipe.

Donteatwheat.com said...

Thank you for posting this-I love this recipe! I was able to make it Gluten Free so my daughter could eat it and we LOVE it! I reposted it @ http://www.donteatwheat.com/1/post/2013/07/gluten-free-german-pancake.html

Thanks!