04 October 2007

Chicken Tortilla Soup


One of my favorite regular soup recipes, and the nice one about this recipe? It's brothy and "fresh-tasting" enough to sneak in when it's still warm out. I came up with this after trying out a few different recipes; I took the best bits of each and tweaked them a bit to our tastes, to come up with what you see below. I love this soup with extra cilantro (me love cilantro) and a good handful of tortilla chips.

Oh and as a really weird aside? I don't make this frequently, but I've definitely made it often enough that the Hubs should remember it. Which he never does; every time I make it I get the "ooh this is really good make sure you keep the recipe!". Thanks, darling.

Chicken Tortilla Soup




Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
2 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth
1 (4-oz) can diced green chiles
1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 "generous" Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Combine the chicken broth, green chilies, tomatoes with green chilies, onion, and garlic in a soup pot. Add the shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes.

Add the lime juice, cilantro, cayenne, and cumin. Simmer for 10-15 minutes longer. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese, avocados, sour cream, more cilantro, limes, tortilla strips…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome! I tweaked this soup by baking the chicken in lime, cilantro, salt, cayanne, and olive oil for 45 minutes before. We added guacamole on top of the soup! I never cook with cumin and it was indeed very good flavoring.