11 January 2008

Trucioli with Prosciutto and Blue Cheese


Yum! I bet your mouth waters just from the title, right? My darling sister Coco sent this one to me via email to give a whirl one of these evenings. It's no secret that Hubs and I are big pasta lovers, and this dish didn't disappoint. Creamy sauce with a nice depth of flavor from the blue cheese, plus crisp salty prosciutto, and just enough onion and garlic for a hint of flavor in the sauce. We had it with Wheatfields bread and a nice light Beaujolais. A perfect, simple-yet-polished meal!

My sister suggested parsley for some color, and I must admit - without it, the dish is rather bland-looking. I used Italian parsley because that's what I had on hand, however feel free to use regular old parsley. The Italian is a wee bit stronger, and overpowered the flavors in the dish a teeny bit.

Thank you Coco-Rico, for the lovely recipe! Will get lots of use out of this one this winter.

Trucioli with Prosciutto and Blue Cheese


Ingredients:
12 oz. trucioli or other shaped rotini pasta
4 oz. prosciutto or amount to taste (can also use premium bacon)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese (my sister used Humboldt Fog, I used a nice gorgonzola)
1 c. half and half
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

Cut prosciutto into ½ inch slices, set aside. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add garlic, onion, and prosciutto and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the creamer and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in blue cheese an simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Boil pasta according to directions. Drain well and combine with sauce. Toss with parmesan cheese and black pepper and serve with a nice crusty loaf of bread and your fave red wine.

**Ah, yes: and please say hello to my new darling camera. This was its first photo shoot for the blog :)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Welcome Camera!! This looks devine-when I can have cream basd pasta again, this will be first on the list

Leslie said...

That looks absolutely delish!

Emily said...

Beautiful pictures...
You can't go wrong with this pasta dish.

I've been looking for beaujolais, but can you believe that I haven't seen any here? That's why small town living isn't that great.

Sarah said...

Proscuitto and blue cheese--sounds like heaven.

Julia & Tyler said...

I feel like I need to run home and make this RIGHT NOW. I think I'll add this to the menu for next week! You know I adore blue cheese!