09 April 2009

Snickerdoodle Muffins




Shamelessly stolen from Pea's blog (these were all the rage in the food blogging community a few years ago, so I patiently waited to post my version).

These are something I could make all the time, and for good reason - they are EXACTLY like the cookie, only in a nice muffin form. The rolling of the batter in cinnamon sugar yields a muffin that has a sugary crackled crust, exactly like the cookie. The muffin interior is so moist and soft and yummy - oh my goodness, heaven. I'm not a gigantic fan of snickerdoodle cookies (they are just *okay*), but man. I could eat these muffins every day of my life.



Just a note for first timers making these: coat your palms in the cinnamon sugar and just plop a scoop of batter on one hand, and bounce the batter quickly between the bowl of sugar and your hands before plopping in your muffin tin. You'll be a MESS, yes, but it also works like a charm.


Snickerdoodle Muffins
(from Peabody)




Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. cream of tarter
¾ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 ¼ c. sour cream
2 ¼ c. all purpose flour
1 c. sugar + 2 Tbsp. cinnamon, mixed together for rolling

Cream the butter and sugar until soft about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.

In a separate, mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and cream of tarter.
Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture in the additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrape the bowl occasionally.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out muffin batter one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar. Place muffin into a greased muffin tin.

Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake them for approx. 20-22 minutes in a 350F oven or until they are golden brown.

8 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

looks delicious and I love cinnamon. This is surely a must try :) Thought it was a cookies from the first pic. :)

Mermaid Sews said...

I did a snickerdoodle cupcake, but not a muffin - have to try this, I have heard great things. Yours look terrific.

Elyse said...

These muffins look fantastic. I love the appearance of the cracked top. Man, I think I could eat these muffins everyday of my life, too!! Delicious!

Peabody said...

Glad you liked them, they are a staple at my house.

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I just showed this photo to my son and the look on his face was priceless. We are HUGE snickerdoodle fans over here and I have to try this! Thanks.

Moderate Sherri said...

I will definitely gives these a try as the cookies are my favorites since childhood.

Mary said...

I made these muffins and boy are they delicious! I baked them in miniature cupcake pans and they really do taste like snickerdoodle cookies. Yum!!

Trish said...

I can't wait to go get my hands gooey and full of sugar!!! I'm glad I stopped by to view your blog! You have great pics and even better recipe ideas!!!