28 July 2008

Garlic Shrimp


This was a recipe I originally tried while hosting a tapas-themed Cooking Club. It was so good, I decided it was worthy of center stage at dinnertime :)

The garlicky, spicy shrimp is just amazing, and all-in-all this is a very healthy version of shrimp (as long as you go easy on that red chile oil). I served it with wild rice and steamed veggies, it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself :)

Garlic Shrimp with Red Chile Oil
(from Bobby Flay)



Ingredients:
24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Red Chile Oil (recipe follows)
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Place the shrimp in a cazuela or an ovenproof casserole and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle olive oil over shrimp, add crushed garlic, and toss to coat. Roast in the oven until pink and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drizzle generously with Red Chile Oil and sprinkle with thyme. Serve with crusty bread.

Red Chile Oil:
1 c. olive oil
6 dried chiles de arbol, lightly toasted and crushed
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch salt
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed

Blend all ingredients including the thyme leaves in a blender until smooth.. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.

3 comments:

Meryl said...

Looks like it was a great party! As I find myself saying often when I read your blog, I'm going to have to try this one!

Ginny said...

That photo caught my attention! Looks delicious!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Simple to make and simply delicious.